Winter Inspired Hot Chocolate & Marshmallows Pincushion DIY!
Before we get to the actual hot chocolate and marshmallows diy pincushion… I’m not much of a tailor or anything (although I would love to learn to sew someday), but I do use pins and needles a lot for my DIY projects (like with pompoms, or banners or stuff like that). Up until now I’ve been using this old sleeping pillow shaped cushion that actually came with a watch. It did the job perfectly tbh, but I’ve seen one too many pretty pincushions diys on Pinterest to know better haha.
So, awhile ago A Beautiful Mess shared a Fall inspired Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte Pincushion DIY and I was blown away. It was the cutest (follow the link in pink to see it) pincushion I ever did see. Look at me talking about pincushions and shit, while people are making robots and whatnot. Anywaaays, their DIY gave me an idea to create my own version of pincushion. Since winter is my absolute favorite time of the year, I though about making it winter/Christmas inspired. For some reason, the first thing that popped on my mind was hot chocolate and marshmallows and omg I could kill for a hot chocolate and marshmallows right now.
Since there aren’t really that big craft stores with an incredible amount of craft tools in Macedonia (which is why I’m putting Hobby Lobby, Michael’s, Target and some more on my travel bucket list haha), it took me a while to figure out exactly how to make it, what to use… And even though I, like Drax the Destroyer, am extraordinarily humble (also I may or may have not used this very joke once in a previous post, and if I may have well that’s just plain lazy right there), I gotta say, my improvisations went just great.
I’m absolutely pleased with the result! Although the fact that there is a very vivid reminder of hot chocolate topped with whipped cream and marshmallows (I’m writing the whole name cause I wanna emphasize how fucking delicious that sounds, and also key words), and no marshmallows in Macedonia whatsoever is just a teeny bit annoying, but oh well… Okay, let’s cut the crap, well let Me cut the crap, and let’s do this!
DIY Hot Chocolate and Marshmallows Pincushion.
– A Coffee Mug
– Sponge (I used the one they use in schools, but you can use something similar, or even foam, like Emma with her PSL Pincushion)
– Brown Felt
– White Felt Pompoms
– White Yarn/Wool
– Glue Gun
1. Cut the sponge or foam or whatever you’re using so that it fits the mug.
2. Cut a circle from the brown felt. Make sure that it’s slightly larger than the mug (where you drink it). Glue it on the sponge/foam/whatever you’re using.
3. Cut some white yarn threads to make the whipped cream. I cut around 30 cm long threads, and around 30 threads. I wasn’t actually counting, but don’t worry, you’ll know if it’s enough when you actually start making one yourself.
4. Once you have your yarn/wool threads, divide them in two separate groups. I tied the 2 ends of each group, so that every thread stayed put while I was gluing it, and then cut the knots once everything was glue. So, tie the 2 ends of each group of threads. Twirl the thread so it really resembles whipped cream, and then glue it on the brown felt in a circle. Do the same with the second group of threads. I feel like the photos just below will do an even better job explaining this. 🙂
5. Cut the felt pompoms shaping them in little cubes. Glue them on top of the “whipped cream” you made with yarn. Pin your needles and pins and donezo!
Tell me – are you making yourself a hot chocolate and topping it with whipped cream and some marshmallows right now, pincushion or real? Share your thoughts in comments.
And I mean PIN IT CAUSE IT’S HOT?! PINcushion inspired by HOT Chocolate and Marshmallows? Sorry but you just gotta PIN THIS! For the sake of the Hot Pin Puns if not for anything else haha.