Coffee Talks // Grab Your Coffee and Let’s Talk Theme Song and Mood Elevating Tunes.
The story of me and my personal theme song goes way back. There was this Boston lawyer drama-comedy and a-lot-of-fantasy TV Show called Ally McBeal a lots of years ago. And I loved it. None of my friends loved it that much. But knowing the reason as to why it wasn’t their favorite, I completely understand them (Ally seeing unicorns, Al Green sings to her in her room, while being a reverent in Tennessee…) Nevertheless, it kinda was special for me. It made me laugh, it made me cry, it introduce me to Al Green, it made me dream…
Anyways, Ally (portrayed by Calista Flockhart) had this therapist in the first seasons of the show who suggested that she should have a theme song. Or, in her words: “A song that you would play in your head to make you feel better.” She had one (Tracy, the therapist) and explained how it has always made her feel great, energized, empowered and whatnot when she’d hear it. Ally of course found her own. And so I got the idea of having my own theme song. It sounded so great, having this one song that would kinda lift me up.
This idea and quest for the theme song lasted while I was hooked on this show and little after that. This was many many years ago, I was a lot younger. Even tough trying to work my way up to the happier places with music was something that I was always doing, even if there wasn’t the one specific song. Aren’t we all?
Then a little after that I’ve discovered the Talking Heads, and there was this particular song that almost instantly made me happy. It’s called Nothing but Flowers and it has this summery vibe, this cheery African melody… Whenever I’d play it, it kinda makes me dance all that shit that’s bugging me off. It helps me dance my way to calmness and get a new, much brighter perspective. Now I don’t dance alone in the streets to a song that plays in my mind, in front of dozens of people, like Ally and the rest from Cage & Fish did, but… It sure does the job.
Anyhow, for the sake of us all feeling better, I’ve selected some mood lifting tunes which have done some pretty damn well job for me. Check them out below.
1. There is a Light that Never Goes Out by the Smiths.
2. Paradise by Sade.
3. This Sing it Back live version by Moloko’s.
4. Eminem’s Just Lose it.
5. Michael Jackson’s Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough, which will always remind me of Chris Tacker’s unforgettable performance of the song in Rush Hour 2 I think. And of my buddy Darko. This song is kinda our jam.
6. Bowie and Mercury’s Under Pressure. Ice ice baby.
7. Beethoven’s 7th Symphony Second Movement. Yep. This has powers!
8. Friends’ I’ll be There for You by the Rebrandts. This song became all the more meaningful for me when me and all of Maria’s gall-palls made a video of us singing and dancing for her bachelorette party.
9. True Romance by the Citizens. Maria dug this guys out and introduced me to them, and to tons of other awesome artists for that matter. This girl has quite the ear for the awesome tunes!
10. Madonna’s Vogue. Strike a Pose.
What’s your Theme Song and your Go-To Songs when you need a little mood elevating?